7 million Ukrainians – most of them women, children and the elderly – have fled Ukraine since February in the wake of Russia’s invasion. Through the Uniting for Ukraine program, the U.S. joins European countries as a safe haven for Ukrainians.
Uniting for Ukraine offers a pathway for 100,000 Ukrainians to come to the U.S. for an initial two-year period. Under this program, a Ukrainian family must have a sponsor in the U.S. who agrees to help them get on their feet.
Alight is working to make Minnesota, Wisconsin, & North Dakota be the standard for welcoming new communities. Our goal is to mobilize 100 sponsoring groups by December and you are being called to action to help us accomplish this across the Midwest.
We’re coming to Rotary Districts 5580, 5950, & 5960 because of your reach into the farthest corners of the tri-state region. Specific targeted areas include the Twin Cities and Metro area, Rochester, St. Cloud, Mankato, Faribault, Marshall, Moorhead, Hudson, Fargo, Bismarck, and Willmar, but we know you have reach into many more and we look forward to working together to meet these targets.
How you can make the Welcome happen:
- Host information sessions across the Rotary Districts in MN, WI, & ND to bring more awareness and opportunities for Welcome across the tr-state area.
- Rotarians identify contacts from your civic groups, neighborhoods, professional networks, friends and family, etc. to join sponsor groups.
- Send all interested parties to Alight for next steps, including a training on community sponsorship.
How Alight will support your sponsorship experience:
- Provide a community hub of resources to support navigation of daily needs that may arise from new arrivals.
- Provide community training and networking support for community sponsors to share and learn from each other.
- An on-call relationship guide to assist with your questions and/or provide additional resources as needed.
Learn more about what sponsorship means here